"Hello" by Adele ... The other side (of the conversation)


I’m not really a massive Adele fan; I’m happy to accept she’s talented and successful... just not my cup of tea. I find her a bit whiny and self-obsessed.

However, this has meant I’ve been a bit intrigued by the song “Hello” which is her side of a conversation (of course). I wondered what the “other side” was ... so I wrote it.

Adele is in red.  The guy at the other end is in blue :

ADELE: Hello, it's me
GUY: Ah, ok, hi, didn’t recognise your voice for a second there 
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
Ummm ...well I don’t know
To go over everything
To go over everything? Why? What do you mean?
They say that time's supposed to heal ya
Err, yeah I guess - I mean it has been a while
But I ain't done much healing
Well I’m sorry to hear that, but I dunno it kind of was hard for me too, you dumped me remember? After sleeping with my friend ...
Hello, can you hear me?
Yes, I’m still here
I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be
That’s nice, I’m still living in Redditch ... exactly as you predicted 
When we were younger and free
Yeah, I guess everyone gets older though right 
I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet
It was a long time ago
There's such a difference between us
Ok well yeah maybe, look I’ve kind of moved on so that’s ok
And a million miles
Well you always said I was distant - so well spotted I suppose
Hello from the other side
You said hello already... what time is it in California? Have you been drinking?
I must've called a thousand times
Yeah, look the calling - if I’m honest it’s kind of a bit of a nuisance, my new girlfriend Karen gets pissed off with it, could you maybe stop doing that 
To tell you I'm sorry
Well you said that at the time, so look if it’s forgiveness you want ...
For everything that I've done
As I said, it hurt at the time, but it was a long time ago 
But when I call you never
Seem to be home
Well I’ve got a life Adele, a job, friends to see and stuff... it’s not like I’m sitting here waiting for you to call
Hello from the outside
The outside of what?
At least I can say that I've tried
Tried? What do you mean?
To tell you I'm sorry
Yeah, as I said - it was a long time ago
For breaking your heart
Yeah, well everybody hurts, I can’t say it didn’t hurt ... I loved you, it was painful when you left, but I’m sort of past it now so I don’t really want to go over it again 
But it don't matter, it clearly
Doesn't tear you apart anymore
Yeah, well time heals and I’ve had to move on ... at the time it was pretty raw, it still kind of is ... have you got a point to this or are you just feeling guilty, cos look forget it, really
Hello, how are you?
Hello, are you breaking up? Can you hear me
It's so typical of me to talk about myself, I'm sorry
No problem, forget it, I’m used to it, you were always your favourite subject
I hope that you're well
Well yeah, I’m alright I guess... I probably should be going though 
Did you ever make it out of that town
No, you were right, I’ll be stuck here for ever ... but look it’s home so I’m happy there
Where nothing ever happened?
Well it’s not that bad a place, I know you hated it, you made no secret of that when we were together. Not as glamorous as California I guess
It's no secret
What isn’t?
That the both of us
Both of us what?
Are running out of time
Well I don’t know, I’m only 36 ... reckon I’m good for a few years yet
So hello from the other side (other side)
Yeah hello, again, it’s been nice talking, I think, but I’m probably going to have to go in a second
I must've called a thousand times (thousand times)
Yeah, and even after I changed my number... it didn’t really help you know, when I was trying to get over you and you kept calling
To tell you I'm sorry
Look, forget it ok?
For everything that I've done
Yeah, well it’s in the past 
But when I call you never
Seem to be home
Yeah, I don’t always answer the phone... it’s normally you or mum so I’m not always good to talk 
Hello from the outside (outside)
This is a crap signal isn’t it... I’m still here
At least I can say that I've tried (I've tried)
You know, it’s fine, it was a long time ago ... you can stop trying ... it’s not actually making my life easier now
To tell you I'm sorry
Look, I forgive you, maybe just move on now, I have, you can stop calling me
For breaking your heart
I’m over it, don’t worry 
But it don't matter, it clearly
Doesn't tear you apart anymore
Honestly, no not really, live and learn and all that... I’m happy with my life, I’ve got Karen, things are OK
Oh, anymore
Oh, anymore
Oh, anymore
Anymore
It’s in the past Adele, I don’t want to talk about it anymore 
Hello from the other side (other side)
Are we at a seance? What’s this “other side” stuff
I must've called a thousand times (thousand times)
Yeah, probably, I did start counting but it got too many ... I had to ignore them, I’m sorry but I had to ... kind of a self-preservation thing
To tell you I'm sorry
For everything that I've done
Look, I’ve got to go, we seem to be going over the same ground. I don’t hold a grudge - just leave it
But when I call you never
Seem to be home
Yeah, either that or just not picking up
Hello from the outside (outside)
Fuck what? Where are you? Are you outside my house? I though you said you were in California! I don’t want to see you... leave me alone. Jesus are you stalking me?
At least I can say that I've tried (I've tried)
I’ve got to go Adele 
To tell you I'm sorry
I forgive you, I need to go
For breaking your heart
Really, I’m going, it’s been ... err ... nice talking to you. Could you not call again 
But it don't matter, it clearly
Ok, see ya around
Doesn't tear you apart anymore
Great, bye then

Crazy bitch... ok Karen, lets go, it was my mad ex again. I’ll change the number. Again. I’m sorry.

So there you go, "Hello" by Adele with the rest of the conversation completed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 half marathons in 12 months - No such thing as a bad race

The value of support

My first blog post